At Quest Leadership Academy Charter School, emphasis will be placed on reading, writing and oral communication skills as foundational to all learning. Science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) will be used to cultivate each student's gifts and talents. The "Leader in Me" curriculum, based on Steven Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, will be an integral part of all curricula.
The "Leader in Me" curriculum
The Leader in Me is a whole-school transformation model and process—developed in partnership with educators—that empowers students with the leadership and life skills they need to thrive in the 21st century. It is based on secular principles and practices of personal, interpersonal, and organizational effectiveness. Distinct in several ways, The Leader in Me starts from a powerful premise—every child possesses unique strengths and has the ability to be a leader—which shapes the views of staff to value and develop the whole child. The process integrates leadership development into existing programs, curricula and traditions and serves as a foundational operating system for the school, improving relationships, transforming culture, and highly motivating staff and students. All stakeholders are impacted by The Leader in Me, starting with the staff of a school, then expanding to students, their families, and the community at large. This Inside-Out Approach is a key ingredient to successfully creating positive change in a school.
Learn more about The Leader in Me
Quest is committed to ensuring ALL of its students are equipped with the skills they need to be successful throughout life by implementing a program of study, which embeds the Leader-in-Me (LiM) process and the Responsiveness to Instruction (RtI) initiative within a curriculum aligned to the new South Carolina State Education Standards. Accordingly, the school year will begin with an initial evaluation of students’ understanding of curricular objectives and the subsequent development of personal education plans (PEPs) based on those findings. Students’ progress towards achieving academic goals will be monitored continually. Thus, additional revisions to their PEPs will be made in effort to ensure ALL students demonstrate proficiency of mastery objectives.
The Quest model will include pre-enrollment assessments. Each student will have a Personalized Learning Plan (PLP) prepared prior to enrollment. Progress will be monitored daily, weekly, and monthly.
Unique Features of Quest Compared to Traditional Schools
- Smaller student to teacher ratios (20:1)
- Learning communities within the school focused on teamwork
- Extended school day
- Introduction to the fundamentals of speech and debate
- Leadership skills development through task-driven activities
- Character trait understanding and development
- Community service projects
- Flexible schedule to allow parental involvement in meetings and conferences
- Parent University: An initiative to increase parental involvement in students' education through family events/activities, indirect service offerings, and free workshops which promote parenting skill development and empowerment
- Wellness component with healthy lifestyle education, emphasizing physical activity, nutrition, and preventative screenings
- Q Closet: An initiative to supplement material needs of students.